Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Here we come a-wassailing


I just arrived in Kyiv this morning - this weekend for the presidential election I'm volunteering as an election observer in Sevastopol and I'm in the capital for training. More on that in an upcoming post.

Walking around today near Zoloti Vorota I saw these carolers near one of the area's theaters. Perhaps the occasion is the Orthodox/Old New Year (a hold over from the Gregorian calendar) which takes place tomorrow. It isn't officially a holiday, but many still celebrate it. Why not? Definitely watch this video - it is only a minute long, and the music is beautiful and as festive as can be. Also I am aware that wassailing means caroling door to door, but I feared that if I didn't put it in the title of this post I'd miss out on the phrase all together this holiday season!


1 comment:

Maggie Madagame said...

The Wassailing was beautiful. They all seems so in the spirit. Obviously music is uplifting even in the cold, many people were placing coins in their box.