Friday, February 19, 2010

Bakhchisaray Lesson plan, take two

There was recently a misunderstanding about a post I wrote regarding a Russian lesson in which my teacher had me find and re-read some sentences of a Russian language version of a Crimean Tatar legend.  While I did not explicitly state it in the post at the time, I considered the information she gave me in that lesson to be quite a narrow and one-sided view of history, and did not personally agree with it.  In the post, I wanted to talk about different views of history and how they retain importance in today's Crimea.  Unfortunately I didn't do a particularly good job of articulating this.  But the reason I said the lesson was interesting was because I learned something about my teacher and her perspectives, not because I was persuaded by that particular reading of history.  I am glad to have a dialogue about this and other posts, and encourage readers to discuss my posts in the comments whether they be in agreement, disagreement, or indifference!

2 comments:

maggie said...

uhm... who that knows you would think that a teacher making you read a passage that was a vicious stereotype would be something you thought was totally rad and wanted to encourage the rest of the world to do?

thats leotarded.

Anonymous said...

I've been pondering about this alot... it sure raises a few questions..
frokostordning