Thursday, August 12, 2010

Top posts about Ukraine

In case I've picked up any readers over the past year, I thought I'd give a handy list of what I consider my more interesting posts on my year here in Ukraine. 

In October I tagged along on a Fulbright trip to Chernobyl and surrounding villages.

In November I visited an old Soviet missile base and got to "push the button."

Running out of good English language books by December, I posted this self-indulgent ode to libraries and personal collections.

In January and February, I participated as an international observer in the Ukrainian presidential elections.

Later in the month, I met a great family in the predominately Crimean Tatar village of Sari-Bash and took a look at their family heirlooms.

March brought me news of Super Alica - my new favorite Russian/Tatar pop singer.  Super good.

By April I was craving shashlik.

In May, I hung out at the Victory Day parade in Simferopol, Crimea.

As the weather heated up in June, I went on a quest for Gagarin in Kharkiv, a major city in eastern Ukraine.

Since July, I've been a bit lax with my posting schedule...but you can expect some good posts in the weeks to come!  I haven't written much here about my project, but if you are curious how that is getting along, you can always e-mail me.