Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Lycian Way

I'm a bit behind on my posts from my trip to Turkey in April, and with the weather so beautiful in Crimea and my research time quickly coming to a close, I doubt I'll be able to post everything I'd like.

Ever since my first year in Turkey, I've wanted to hike the Lycian Way.  Natalya came to visit me in Istanbul in 2006 and ended up getting a job working at Reflections Camp in Kabak.  I went to visit her for a long weekend and fell in love with the valley.  What's not to love - a secluded beach, just a swim away from some hidden caves in the cliff and a hike over some fallen rocks to to next cove with a quiet beach with no road access.  Great food cooked at the camp, mostly from village produce and food supplies, and a perfect location on the Lycian Way, with day hikes to a cool waterfall and amazing views.  Even in the hottest part of summer, the Mediterranean light, smell and heat are intoxicating.  I traveled back for a few days when Kelly came to visit me in the summer of 2008.  What sorry, jaded soul wouldn't fall in love with this part of the world?  

This lovely photo of me, courtesy of David, was taken after approximately 3 hours of wandering around in the hot sun looking for...the trail. 

Knowing that soon I'm heading back to that big ol' island called America, I wanted to travel back and finally explore more of the trail.  Not that going back to graduate school is the end of my travelling days, but, as they say, better safe than sorry.  David planned us a beautiful route, that while not going to Kabak, brought us in a few days to some of the most beautiful parts of the Lycian Way.  I'll be posting about them over the next days (weeks?).  In the mean time, you can find out more about the trail on its official website, TimeOut Istanbul, and the Guardian.

1 comment:

Maggie Madagame said...

Ah, for relaxed look on your face from traveling without the stress of too many people and time-lines. Your face looks young and happy. (Nice picture, David)